Parade Theme: “Christmas Past & Present”
Line-Up Location: Streets will be assigned by category; applicants will be notified.
Line-Up Time: Starts at 4:30pm. To be judged for an award, you must be lined up by 5:15pm.
Parade Time: 6:00pm
Parade Route: Go directly to your assigned street. Do not gather in Super Dollar Parking Lot. Do not line up before 4:30pm. Head of parade will leave from near the 12th Street intersection, eastbound on Main Street. Left onto 1st Street. Left onto Monroe Street toward municipal office; disperse. There is no gathering/ceremony at conclusion of parade.
For security reasons, only parade entries that have been pre-approved by the Parade Committee will be permitted to enter the Christmas Parade. Please note that you are not accepted into the parade until you receive an acceptance letter or email from the Parade Committee after the application deadline.
All entries must conform to the guidelines attached. The Parade Committee reserves the right to accept or deny any application for entry. There is a limit to the number of entries permitted in each category. Unregistered or unaccepted floats or entries will NOT be permitted to participate in the Christmas Parade.
2019 Christmas Parade Entry Guidelines
Entries MUST adhere to these guidelines in order to be considered for parade participation.
- There is a limit on the number of entries permitted per category. Preference will be given based on quality of theme and presence of an actual float.
- Entries must observe all rules and regulations and follow instructions from police and parade staff/volunteers. Downtown Wytheville Incorporated, the Parade Committee, and all affiliated parade staff/volunteers hold no liability whatsoever for damages or injury incurred as a result of participation in the Christmas Parade.
- No Santas are allowed in ANY entry.
- All entries must be decorated. Entries should fit the theme of “Christmas Past & Present.”
- Limit two fire/rescue vehicle from each community.
- No race cars, 4-wheelers, or ATVs.
- All vehicle drivers must hold a current license appropriate to their vehicle.
- All animals must be leashed and kept under control at all times. Animals must be kept at least 6 feet from spectators. Cleaning up after animals is the immediate responsibility of the handler.
- Entries should be family-friendly: no profanity, obscenity, or otherwise inappropriate signage or depictions will be permitted.
- No materials of any sort can be thrown from parade floats or vehicles. Entries may include walking participants who may hand wrapped candy or toys to spectators. You will be removed from the parade if you throw candy or other objects.
- Brochures, leaflets, tracts, or any other type of literature must be pre-approved by the Parade Committee and included as part of the entry application.
- With the exception of sworn law enforcement officials, firearms/weapons are strictly prohibited. This includes prop/replica/costume firearms and weaponry.
- Violations of any rule may result in the immediate removal and subsequent ban of the entrant.
- Entrants not pre-approved by the Parade Committee will not be permitted to participate in the Christmas Parade and will be turned away by parade officials.
- The following will NOT be considered acceptable entries and will not be approved for parade participation:
- Stores/businesses with a float that is not in keeping with the theme
- Political ads or floats/entries that endorse a candidate or political platform (elected officials may participate)
Categories: Youth/Civic Group, Religious, Commercial, Antique Vehicles, Pageant Winner, Marching Band, Walking Characters, Horses, Other.
Awards will be given in the following categories: Civic, Commercial, Religious, and Best in Show. Floats will be judged BEFORE the parade. To qualify, floats must be prepared and lined up by 5:15pm.